Monday, April 14, 2014

Grand Canyon South Rim - Drive of a Lifetime (Day 5)

We started out the day by seeing a herd of about five elk (females and yearlings) in the forest that runs along the campground road.

Note to self: keep the camera in the front seat.

This drive is included in the National Geographic book Drives of a Lifetime.

AZ 69, along the south rim of the Grand Canyon, connects Grand Canyon Village with Desert View, for which is the Painted Desert can be viewed.

We spent the day on the drive, stopping at all the view points.

Then, we drove just outside the park to a Mexican restaurant and Mule had his first taste of Southwest Mexican cuisine. He tried the burrito, which is his standby favorite Mexican food. Mine is chili rellenos. The Pioneer Woman's recipe Is very similar to mine and I prefer it to the fried rellenos.
Pioneer Woman's receipe

Ingredients
8 whole Roasted, Peeled, And Seeded Green Chiles
1-½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
5 whole Large Eggs
2 cups Whole Milk
Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
½ teaspoons Paprika
¼ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper

Preparation
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne.
Cut chilies in half and add a single layer of chilies on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
Top chilies with half the grated cheese.
Repeat with another layer of chilies and another layer of cheese.
Pour egg mixture all over the top.
Place into a larger baking dish or rimmed baking sheet. Pour in 1/2 inch of water and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until completely set.
Cut into squares and serve with warm corn tortillas!


The night before I crawled into my sleeping bag with cold feet and no socks on. My feet were brittle cold all night, despite trying to cover them with a pillow.

Tonight I put in socks, ski socks over my socks, a pillow at the foot of my sleeping bag (which is much longer than me), a quit over the sleeping bag (which is on top of a 3" thick, 30" wide therm-a-rest), and my coat over the quilt.

The altitude was leaving me out of breath to take even short walks. I was exhausted and discouraged. Before falling asleep, I told Mule, "This is so much harder than I remember or expected." I thought, "Maybe we'll head home next week."

Then, I feel asleep.



Above: Mule's first Southwest Mexican meal (burrito).

Below: our campsite. The little tent belongs to the person who shared the site with us. It's the size that we used to backpack with :)

Above: Our car repacked with day gear.

The following pictures are rim views from the Desert View road.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo shots. Sorry the nights and your feet were cold, but your recounting of it gave me a smile & laugh for my day.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Warm feet are so nice.

      Delete